Philo can kill #1 - Aristotle's Doctrine of the "Golden Mean"

Lately, I have been reading this colourful book called The Story of Philosophy by Bryan Magee. Of course, its another book full of pictures from one of my favourite publisher, DK books. Or else, it would have been really a torture to read a book on such a dry topic. I shall share here with everyone something I have learn from this book.
Aristotle, one of the four great Greek philosophers, came out with his famous Doctrine of the "Golden Mean", which is quite interesting. According to his doctrine, a virtue is the midway point between 2 extremes, each of which is a vice. Examples:
Vanity --> Self-respect <-- Self-abusement
Shamelessness --> Modesty <-- Shyness
It seems to me that the line between vice and virtue is very thin. Perhaps, as Aristotle suggests, moderation is the key to happiness. Brilliant doctrine.



0 Rantings:
Post a Comment
<< Home